Establishing Paternity In New York City
Claim Your Rights To Child Custody
When the identity of a child’s father is in question, cases involving the care of the child become significantly more complicated. It is in the best interest of all parties involved to legally establish paternity, as it provides both the mother and the father with certain rights regarding custody and support. At Cedeño Law Group, PLLC, we guide our clients through the process of establishing paternity and help them understand what it means for their families and their future.
Our New York City family lawyer, Peter L. Cedeño, has been rated 10.0 Superb by Avvo, which is a testament to his dedication and passionate representation of all his clients. This rating means that he has been recognized by his peers in the legal field, has proven his efficiency through a rich background, and has compiled numerous achievements that showcase his competence. His leadership enforces a culture of high-quality service.
Why Establish Paternity?
In any family law case, the primary concern is always for the best interests of any children who are involved. Identifying a father can be an important step, simply to ensure the emotional well-being of the child. However, there are a number of legal benefits that can enhance the care, financial support and long-term security of the child as well.
Benefits of establishing paternity include:
- Child custody and visitation — A child can build a relationship with both parents.
- Child support — A mother can access finances to help provide for the child.
- Inheritance — A child can claim certain insurance benefits after a father’s passing.
Your Rights As A Father In New York
If you believe that you are the father of a child to whom you currently do not have custody or visitation rights, it is essential to take legal action. Establishing paternity can allow you to claim your rights as a father and pursue the relationship that you and your child deserve.
A father has the right to the following:
- Visitation — Biological fathers have a right to build and maintain a relationship with children through consistent communication and parenting time.
- Legal custody — A family court may enforce a father’s right to collaborative decision-making, including medical, educational and religious decisions for a child.
- Physical custody — Fathers may pursue either partial, joint, or full custody of a child, depending on a judge’s determination of the child’s best interest.
- Preventing adoption — A biological father must consent to an adoption by the child’s mother and a third party. Paternity gives authority over adoption.
Seeking Child Support?
Raising a child on your own can be difficult, especially when you do not have the financial means to provide for all of his or her necessities. Fortunately, a legal system exists that gives custodial parents the right to collect support payments from the other parent of their child. However, for a single mother, this means that paternity of the child must be legally established, or the alleged father must formally acknowledge it. Our New York City family lawyer is committed to helping mothers like you pursue paternity suits so that you can provide a comfortable and fruitful life for your child.
More Than 20 Years Of Legal Experience
At Cedeño Law Group, PLLC, we have the experience that you need to feel confident that your delicate family law matter is in the right hands. We are committed to helping our clients pursue the best interests of their family and secure the welfare of their children. Whether you are seeking the custody or support of your child, our firm can guide you through the legal process for establishing paternity.
To learn more about how we can help you provide the best life for your child, contact us to schedule your case consultation!