New York City Contested Divorce Lawyer
Representing Your Interests In Divorce
As the name suggests, a contested divorce is what happens when a separating couple cannot agree on the terms or cause of their dissolution and requires court intervention. At Cedeño Law Group, PLLC, we understand that facing the court system for a divorce can be immensely emotional and difficult for you and your family.
Our New York City divorce lawyer wants to be in your corner to ensure your interests are protected. Attorney Peter L. Cedeño has an Avvo rating of 10.0 Superb and has made it his mission to provide personalized representation to all of his clients who are faced with a contested divorce. Our firm has more than 20 years of experience that we can put to use to help mitigate the additional stress of complicated legal processes.
What Is Contested Divorce?
When a couple gets divorced, there are many important decisions concerning their shared assets, debts and children that must be made. For many couples, reaching amicable agreements is extremely difficult, as emotions are running high and the relationship is problematic in nature. These cases require a judge to intervene and make decisions that he or she finds to be in the best interests of all parties involved.
Some of the most common areas of contention include:
The Steps Involved In A Contested Divorce
The process of a contested divorce is often lengthier and more complicated than an uncontested divorce, which means that it is essential to have a divorce attorney in New York City at your side who can help you to navigate it with ease and efficiency.
Steps of a contested divorce include:
- Filing for divorce, which includes a statement of grounds for dissolution
- Serving the petition and allowing spouse to respond
- Participating in a discovery period, or time taken to gather relevant information
- Attending hearings for pretrial motions
- Negotiating a settlement between both parties and attorneys
- Preparing for a trial in case negotiations which are unsuccessful
- Going to trial, in which both parties provide and cross-examine witnesses
- Receiving a final order issued by the court which presents a judge’s decision
- Appealing the order if you do not find the judge’s decision agreeable
- Finalizing divorce when you are satisfied with the order or your appeal is denied
Why Choose Our Firm?
Peter L. Cedeño grew up in the Bronx and has established an impeccable reputation throughout New York City. Our client reviews speak for themselves, and the legal community is just as eager to endorse us. Our legal team understands that the legal process can feel overwhelming, so we are dedicated to ensuring that the process is expeditious, without sacrificing your interests. We have made it our mission to do all we can to reach agreeable settlements before trial so that your time, energy and emotions are not wasted.
To learn what we can do for you, call us today for a case consultation!